Can High Temperature Steam Inactivate Corona Virus Sars-Cov-2
The answer is more than likely yes – provided the correct high temperature, correct minimum residence time and the proper environment for cleaning is present. We will recommend that the device produce temperatures above 300°C to compensate for heat losses before reaching the microbe. The residence time should be high enough. However this should vary depending on the circumstances or the environment.
Steam cleaning with the SaniZap®
- After cleaning with SaniZap®, surface will be dry. Very low condensation or moisture to wipe with rags or paper.
- SaniZap® eliminates waste such as rags or paper towels needed to wipe chemical sprays or low temperature steam (vapor) cleaning
- No continuing expense of chemicals. No chemicals except steam is used.
- What temperatures and dwell time is required to kill the Coronavirus?
- One study showed that to kill the virus in a laboratory setting, the team had to heat it to 92 degrees Celsius (197 degrees Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.036855v1
- Another Study: In order to kill COVID‐19, heat virus‐containing objects for:
3 minutes at temperature above 75°C (160°F).
5 minutes for temperatures above 65°C (149°F).
20 minutes for temperatures above 60°C (140°F).
- Other references
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016609340400179X#fig2 (SARS, closely related to COVID19
In general it good to use steam at much higher temperatures provided that no object where the steam impinges, is damaged by heat, or steam chemistry. We will recommend certainly temperatures above 300°C to compensate for heat losses – the exact temperature depends on configuration and the environment.
SaniZap® steam temperatures reach over 300°C – well above these temperatures
SaniZap1™ steam temperature is over 300°C within minutes from start up and can last for several hours
SaniZap4™ steam temperature is over 600°C within minutes from start up and can last for several hours
- Importance of high temperature steam in the portable SaniZap® Units:
- More areas, surfaces, objects both hard and soft can be sanitized at these Covid19-killing temperatures. Please use safety precautions as recommended and use at least chemical indicators.
- Cleaning can be done OFTEN and easily
Here are search terms that will help you get more literature and resource.
Search the literature for:
- Regulatory Expectations and Requirements of FDA, Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (ANVISA), National Administration of Drugs, Foods and Medical Devices (ANMAT), Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA), European Medicines Agency (EMA) and Agence Nationale de Sécurité du Médicament et des Produits de Santé (ANSM) inspectors as they relate to COVID-19
- Guidance Documents
- Basis Cleaning and Disinfection Frequencies
- Keeping clean rooms controlled to ensure safe, pure and efficacious products
- Industry Best Practices
- Disinfecting during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Managing fungal and bacterial spore spread
- The Latest Advances in Application Equipment and Cleaning Methods
- Disinfectant rotation, sterility, application, and rinsing
- COVID-19 monitoring, contact tracing and social distancing requirements
- A world spread visualization tool.